About the UCU strike
In February and March, UCU members at 74 universities will strike over pay, inequality, pensions, casualisation and workload. Read more and find out if academic staff at your uni are striking here.
The full strike dates are:
- Week one – Thursday 20 & Friday 21 February
- Week two – Monday 24, Tuesday 25 & Wednesday 26 February
- Week three – Monday 2, Tuesday 3, Wednesday 4 & Thursday 5 March
- Week four – Monday 9, Tuesday 10, Wednesday 11, Thursday 12 & Friday 13 March
Some universities’ UCU branches have changed the strike dates slightly to avoid reading week – so double check if that applies to yours! The strikes start at these unis from Monday 24 February.
About Student Strike Solidarity
Student Strike Solidarity came out of the Student Left Network‘s November national meeting of students organising in support of the 2019 UCU strikes.
Read the motion we passed:
Student Strike Solidarity aims to link up local student-worker solidarity groups in order to nationally coordinate support for UCU strikes on pay, equality, casualisation and pensions. We encourage student-worker solidarity in general. We back all trade union activity in support of their demands.
We will fight for the maximum local and national support for the strike from activist groups and the maximum ‘official’ student movement support for the strikes from NUS and Student Unions.
– support picket lines
– organise occupations, blockades and other direct action against university management in support of the demands
– campaign against the penalisation or intimidation of international students on Tier 4 visas who miss lectures
– organise action against the docking of staff pay during action short of a strike
– fight any victimisation by management of students protesting
– help activists to build up local groups by organising skill shares and activist-exchange visits
– organise online and in-person discussion between students supporting the strikes